Return to: HOME
P RINCE DEPOT
 
Click on an image to (1) view a larger version of the image or (2) to select the image for an ePostcard.
 


Formally opened on June 26, 1946, the Art Deco styled depot at Prince, WV still serves as a Amtrak passenger stop.


Using what architects of the day called Solar Orientation, the overhang of the depot's waiting platform was calculated with reference to the meridional position of the sun, thus capturing the direct rays of the winter sun, while shading the hot rays of summer.


The station name of "Prince", in orange-red lettering of Art Deco inspired style, graces each end of station platforms and is positioned above the station's front and is back entranceways.


In the floor of the Prince Depot is a large mosiac of Chessie, the cat that assured the traveling pubic that they would "sleep like a kitten" on C&O passenger trains.

A large photo mural of the Crab Orchard mine graces the rear wall of the Prince Depot.

Said to be a "one of a kind", the C&O logo on the rear of the Prince Depot is of a more "streamlined" design than the railroad normally used.
R ELATED SITES 

West Virginia Railroads -- Visit our sister site, WVRailroads.net, for history, news, photos, and links related to West Virginia railroads.   At WVRailroads you also can download  scale drawings of the Thurmond Depot, Thurmond Enginehouse, Thurmond Yards, Hinton Depot, Hinton Yards, and the Kaymoor Mining Complex.

Early History of the C&O --A Web page from Historic Mount Hope  provides a brief historical sketch of the early history of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway.

 

TOP OF PAGE

 

Copyright 2002 by WVePostcards.com - All Rights Reserved