Railroads: Oak Hill, WV

 
Railroads operating in the Oak Hill, WV area included the White Oak Railway, the Virginian Railway, and the Norfolk & Western Railway.
 
Click on an image to (1) either view a larger version of the image or (2) to select the image for an ePostcard.
 


In the late-1960's a single Fairbanks-Morse Trainmaster was usually found on the siding behind the Oak Hill Depot.


N&W #171 began its life as Virginian Ry. #71, being built in April 1954 and classified as Class DE-RS on the VGN.


FM #171 shuttling hoppers through Oak Hill - During the 1960's, N&W crews picked up cars of coal from C&O crews at Carlisle, delivering the loaded cars to the New River Co.'s Lochgelly cleaning plant.


#171 "runs around" a string of about 20 "loads" near Oak Hill Depot - After cleaning, the coal that originated from the New River Company's Siltix mine, was loaded back into hoppers and then taken back by N&W crews to the Carlisle siding.

As the N&W engineer rev's up #171, preparing to head back with his "loads" to Carlisle, a couple of boys run along side the train.

Related Categories

Railroads: Oak Hill, WV Depot

Oak Hill, WV - Photos from the community of Oak Hill, WV

TOP OF PAGE

 

Copyright 2002 by WVePostcards.com - All Rights Reserved