Return to: HOME

Alderson, West Virginia (WV)

Alderson, WV was incorporated in 1881 and named for John Alderson, Baptist minister, who settled in the community in 1777. Soon after becoming president, Ulysses S. Grant dined in Alderson while traveling over the newly completed C&O railroad line on his way to visit friends in  Charleston, WV. 
Alderson, WV Weather
Alderson, WV Weather
 
Click on an image: to view a larger version of the image or to select the image for an e-Postcard.
 

C&O Depot in Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
The recently restored Alderson Depot, is located in the heart of Alderson's historic district.

C&O Depot in Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
The Alderson Depot, a circa 1896 wood-frame structure, is typical of standard Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) design used by the railroad during the period from 1890 to 1915.

Greenbrier River - Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
The Greenbrier River at Alderson, West Virginia, Greenbrier County.

Allegheny Collegiate Institute at Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
From a postcard of about 1906, a photo of the Allegheny Collegiate Institute at Alderson, WV.
Bank of Alderson Building, Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
The old Bank of Alderson building, one of many examples of turn-of-the-century architecture in Alderson's historic district.
Bank of Alderson Building, Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
Lower quadrangle, looking west, Alderson Federal Prison for Women (originally named: Federal Reformatory for Women) near Alderson, WV.
Bank of Alderson Building, Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
Upper quadrangle, looking southwest, from open end of quadrangle, Alderson Federal Prison for Women , near Alderson, WV.
Bank of Alderson Building, Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
West end of lower quadrangle, showing Administration building at Alderson Federal Prison for Women , near Alderson, WV.
Bank of Alderson Building, Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
North side of  lower quadrangle,  Federal Alderson Federal Prison for Women, off St. Rt. 3, near Alderson, WV.
Bank of Alderson Building, Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
School & Chapel, Alderson Federal Prison for Women , near Alderson, WV.
Bank of Alderson Building, Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
Warden's house,  Alderson Federal Prison for Women , near Alderson, WV.
Bank of Alderson Building, Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt (center) with Mrs. Henry Morganthau (left) and Alderson Warden Mary Belle Harris (right), circa 1934.
Bank of Alderson Building, Alderson, West Virginia (WV)
Aerial photo of Alderson Federal Prison for Women, from the U.S. Geological Survey.
     SEARCH WVEPOSTCARDS 

TOP OF PAGE

 

Copyright 2002 by WVePostcards.com - All Rights Reserved